This post was originally titled “Ten Reasons Why You (And I) Need a Smartphone” but I have come to the realization that a smartphone is not something that anyone truly needs. It is definitely a luxury to have all of these tools at your fingertips, but if you can afford to have a smartphone it will make your life a whole lot easier.
Don’t believe me? Read this list and tell me if you still want to continue living without these luxuries that can help you manage your professional life. Because Social Rhythms is geared toward dance specifically, this list is designed to appeal to dance professionals who could use some extra help organizing their careers.
- Never get lost. Find the exact location for an upcoming teaching job or performance. Find out where there is traffic and be on time without a doubt.
- Tackle emergencies right when they happen. Respond to urgent questions and emergencies as soon as they arise via e-mail, phone or social media.
- Watch videos for inspiration before choreographing or creating. There are thousands of talented artists on YouTube that have posted incredibly inspiring dance footage online.
- Share sneak peak photos and information through social media. One thing that my Twitter feed lacks is some visual insight into my personal life. This is because my phone does not connect in anyway to social media!
- Always have music on hand for classes. No need to bring your ipod to the studio, now all you need is your cell phone.
- Organize your calendar. Do people still use planners these days? I do. Because I don’t have a smartphone.
- Sell yourself when you run into a potential client or employer. Be ready with your online portfolio and YouTube videos in case you meet someone who you would like to work with.
- Manage your finances. For many of us starving artists out there it is important that we check out bank accounts frequently! Most banks have applications that allow you to check your balance online.
- Reference websites and other information online. The other day on my way to the airport I was forced to write my flight information down on a piece of paper because I had nowhere else to reference the time and flight numbers. Why do this when you can have it all in front of you with the click of a button?
- Do other fun things. Not sure where the closest place to eat is? There’s an app for that. Waiting backstage or in a doctor’s office? Play some games on your phone while you wait.